Vegan Ragout in a Pumpkin Recipe
I've been making ragout in pumpkins wayyyyyy before I adopted a vegan diet. This one is a classic that I have adapted to a plant-based diet and I bake it every Halloween.
In addition to being very simple, it is also very tasty. Although it will take you 2h00 to prepare and bake, most of the time is spent either emptying the pumpkin or waiting for the ingredients to cook.
I make this recipe using Lightlife's zesty italian veggie ground, but you could use any other kind of veggie ground, tvp or cooked lentils. If you do replace the ground, I would recommend adding herbs and seasoning to enhance the flavor since Lightlife’s ground is very flavorful.
There are three parts to this recipe : the baked pumpkin, the ragout and the gravy.
Choose a small pumpkin, about 8 to 10 pounds, that's going to fit in your oven! You will also want to put your pumpkin on a baking sheet lined with parchement paper and wrap the stem in aluminum foil
We like to eat our vegan ragout with sourdough bread and steamed green vegetables.
TIP IF YOU MAKE THIS ON HALLOWEEN : If you make the gravy and prepare your ingredients for the ragout the night before, you will have plenty of time on the night of Halloween to get ready for your Halloween night while the pumpkin bakes and the stew simmer.
Here we go!
VEGAN RAGOUT IN A PUMPKIN
Prep time : 1h
Cook time : 1 h
Portions : 4
Ingredients for the pumpkin:
-1 pumpkin, 8 to 10 pounds
-salt and pepper
-2 garlic cloves
-fresh rosemary springs
-1/2 pack of lightlife zesty ground
-1 can of diced tomatoes
-2 white or yellow potatoes
-1 small sweet potatoe
-2 celery sticks
-200g of mushrooms
-1 medium onion, chopped
-2 garlic cloves
-2 bay leaves
-salt and pepper to taste
-1/4 cup vegan margarine
-1 small onion, chopped
-1 garlic clove
-1 cups of vegetable stock
-1/2 cup of red wine
-1/4 cup dark soy sauce
-1 tsp Cornstarch + 2 Tsp water
Instructions for the pumpkin :
1. Preheat the oven to 350°C and line a baking sheet with parchement paper
2. Empty your pumpkin by making a hole on the top
3. Rub the inside of the pumpkin with the garlic clove. Leave the garlic clove inside the pumpkin
4. Season the inside of the pumpkin with salt and pepper
5. Add a couple springs of fresh rosemary and put back the top of the pumpkin on
6. Put the pumpkin on the prepared baking sheet and cook in the oven for 1h or until fork tender. Don't over bake it.
Instructions for the ragout :
1. In your fat of choice, cook the chopped onion until translucent (I use half margarine, half grapeseed oil)
2. Add the bayleaves, the minced garlic cloves, the carrots, the celery and the mushrooms. Cook 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Add the white potatoes, the sweet potatoes, the vegetable broth, the diced tomatoes and half a pack of veggie groud of your choice. Stir and let simmer on medium-low heat for 30 to 35 minutes, until the vegetables are fork tender.
Insctructions for the gravy :
1. In margarine, cook the chopped onion until translucent.
2. Add the bayleaf and the minced garlic. Cook until it starts to turn gold. Do not burn the garlic.
3. Deglace the pan with 1/2 cup of red wine. Let the alcohol evaporate for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the vegetable broth and the soy sauce. Let it reduce for 2 minutes.Assemble the meal :
Now that everything is cooked, poor the ragout and the gravy inside the pumpkin. Scrape a little bit of pumpkin when serving this ragout.
Happy halloween and bon appétit!